Endless studies, backroom deals, and findings about the unconstitutionality of the tunnel law do not protect the Great Lakes from a Line 5 oil spill. A spill from a pipeline operated by a foreign corporation with a questionable track record would do irreparable harm to Michigan's citizens, tourism, and our blue economy.
Take Action Now and Endorse the Oil & Water Don't Mix Plan to Decommission Line 5
Help us make this stick! We need thousands of endorsements of this plan to show the powers that be that there is a way to take real action now to prevent disaster.
Make a difference now. Let's compel our current leaders to act with the knowledge that thousands support a plan that can actually work.
The Five Step Plan to Decommission Line 5
These are the highlights. Read the complete plan here.
- The Attorney General or Governor immediately files a legal action against Enbridge to enforce ongoing violations of the Easement Agreement pursuant to public trust law.
- Governor Whitmer directs the Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC) to examine alternatives for providing propane to the Upper Peninsula.
- Governor Whitmer directs the MPSC to examine alternatives for transport of light crude oil produced in northern Michigan to refining operations.
- MPSC moves forward with alternatives to meet Michigan’s needs.
- Line 5 is disassembled and removed from the Straits and state has a plan for the removal of the rest of Line 5.